What to see, activities, and attractions around Lake Bunyonyi
This Lake is one of the most beautiful in Africa found in south-western Uganda close to the Rwanda border and DR-Congo, Lake Bunyonyi is just one hour drive to Bwindi impenetrable forest national park and two hours drive to Mgahinga gorilla national park in Kisoro, Lake Bunyonyi is one of the most top tourists destinations in Uganda, Lake Bunyonyi can be visited before or after gorilla or golden monkey tracking, lake Bunyonyi is also the top place to go to in Uganda for the honeymooners and also for those who wish to get away from the busy city life and relax as you enjoy the cool weather at one of the beautiful islands in Lake Bunyonyi.
Bunyonyi means little birds hence the name Lake Bunyonyi, the fact lake Bunyonyi with its 29 islands is home to many different bird species, Lake Bunyonyi is also the deepest lake in Uganda and one of the deepest lakes in Africa with a cool climate throughout the year, there is enough rain to support the lush green hills and valleys surrounding Bunyonyi.
Lake Bunyonyi is recommended and a perfect place for relaxation after gorilla tracking in Bwindi impenetrable forest national park and in Mgahinga gorilla national park, after a long day in the forest searching for mountain gorillas hiking up and down indeed this will be an amazing place for to come and relax and enjoy the cool brize from 29 islands.
Among the 29 islands, includes Bushara island, Njuyeera island, Bwama island, and Akampene island which is the most infamous also known as Punishment Island, in the early days among the local people (Bakiga) any girl who would get pregnant before marriage, the punishment she would get was too taken her and abandoned her at Akampene Island and leave her to die of hunger or by drowning because in those days girls were not taught how to swim.
Locally and traditionally in the early days, for a girl to get pregnant before marriage was an abomination because by then no man would want to marry and pay bird price for a girl who got pregnant before marriage so the reason for leaving the girl to die at the punishment island (Akampene) it was a strong message to the other girls so that they don’t get pregnant before marriage because it was not unacceptable in the society of those days but the funny thing was that nothing would be done to the boys and men who would have made those girls pregnant. The good thing is that that primitive practice is no longer being practiced it was abandoned after the British colonial government abandoned them.
Those who are interested can check out some of our safari packages that include. a visit to lake Bunyonyi in fact you can easily combine Lake Bunyonyi and gorilla tracking safari just reach out to our safari consultants will tailor an itinerary that suites your interests, time, and budget.
What to do and see on your visit to lake Bunyonyi in Kabale?
This lake is an amazing place to be, a part of the supper beautiful sceneries, there are many more other interesting activities and things to do at Lake Bunyonyi among them includes the following.
- Relaxing: Lake Bunyonyi has the most amazing and beautiful sceneries with cool weather making it the perfect to be when you want to chill and relax after a long safari or difficult activities like mountain gorilla tracking in the Bwindi forest or mountain hiking and climbing like Mt Sabinyo, Mt Gahinga and Mt Muhabura in Mgahinga, and also for those love leading books lake Bunyonyi is the best place to come as you read in a cool environment.
- Swimming: for those who love swimming, Lake Bunyonyi is one of the lakes in Africa that is Bilharzia free with no crocodiles and hippos also Bunyonyi has clear waters which is free from pollution because there are no fishing activities and fishing sites on the shores of Bunyonyi which makes it the Lake in Uganda where you can go and enjoy swimming but as you enjoy swimming you must take a NOTE that Lake Bunyonyi is the second deepest lake in Africa so if you are not t good swimmers please do not try it instead you can go swimming in the swimming pools at some of the hotels and resorts at Lake Bunyonyi.
- Canoeing: Canoeing on lake Bunyonyi is one of the most interesting activities on this lake and also canoes are the main way of getting around Bunyonyi and its 29 islands, while on this lake you be amazed by these canoes and how they are moved using rowing sticks or motor engines, you can easily hire a canoe from individuals at the shores at affordable fee/price of 100,000 shillings which is about 30 USD to 40 USD, Using locally canoes on lake Bunyonyi offers you a completely different experience.
- Villag, Community, and Cultural Visit Around Lake Bunyonyi: another way of exploring Lake Bunyonyi is by taking a walk through different communities to observe how the local people go about their daily life around this lake, this activity is very interesting as you interact with the local people and get the opportunity to try out different tasks like digging the garden with local hoes, visiting local schools and interact with the teacher and school children, visit the Batwa people, there is a group Batwa community living around Like Bunyonyi which is another interesting activity that we can recommend it.
- Go for Mountain Biking: for those who love biking, this is one of the best ways of exploring lake Bunyonyi by hiring a mountain bike and riding around the lake to the viewing points of the beautiful landscape as you ride through villages.
- Go for Birdwatching around Lake Bunyonyi: in Uganda Lake Bunyonyi is a birding paradise which is number one on the list of the best places to go for birdwatching destinations in Uganda as its name Bunyonyi suggests a place of many birds, lake Bunyonyi there are over 205 species of birds that you can be spotted in this area, among the bird species which includes both resident and those that migrate from different countries including Europe during winters.
- Go out to Eating Crayfish: There is a good and positive side to former Uganda president the infamous military dictator Idi Amin because he’s the one who directed and endorsed the introduction of the Louisiana Crayfish into Lake Bunyonyi, Lake Bunyonyi is the only like in Uganda and East Africa where Crayfish have been so successful that they have become the dominant specie in the lake making it the only please in Uganda where one can get crayfish and for this reason, most of the lodges around Lake Bunyonyi have crayfish on their menu.