Kigali is the largest and the capital city of Rwanda, there are many activities to do in Kigali which include a visit to the Kigali Genocide Memorial center where you will be able to go through documentaries about the 1994 mass killings in Rwanda, and other civil wars associated with Rwanda, visit Caplaki Crafts Village for traditional handicrafts which include woodcarvings and woven baskets.
Many of our clients are always asking us and wondering about which activities to do while in Kigali before they start their tour or at end of their tour, Kigali is well known as a pleasant and attractive city with countless hills and natural beauty. Kigali is one of the smallest cities in Africa but the most beautiful and cleanest city in Africa, Kigali is the capital city of Rwanda with a population of over one and a half million people, Kigali is well located right at the center of Rwanda which also makes it much easier to be accessed from its neighboring countries like Uganda, Tanzania, Burundi, and DR-Congo.
The 1994 genocide have not demoralized the Rwandans for long but it also helped the people of Rwanda to unite, The Rwandan people have been given another opportunity to build their own country afresh politically, socially, and economically, as soon as they arrive in Kigali you will realize that there is a great sense of ownership despite the different attractions and natural beauty of Kigali Rwanda.
At Kisoro tours Uganda, many of our clients desire to explore the Capital-Kigali because most the clients use Kigali as a transit point, for example, most of our clients coming to Uganda for gorilla tracking, chimpanzee tracking, and wildlife safaris prefer to fly to Kigali and cross to Uganda because it is closer to remote national parks like Bwindi forest, Mgahinga national park, Kibale forest national park, and other parks. We have always advised our clients to explore countless activities to do while in Kigali, we are always at your disposal to discuss the top things to do while in Kigali.
1. A visit to Kigali Genocide Memorial: The Kigali Genocide Memorial is built and opened in 2004 to honor over 250,000 victims of the genocide but also to remind people about the atrocities committed so that it never happens again in the history of Rwanda. Visitors who visit this memorial center will get an opportunity to know what transpired in 1994, this tour of the Kigali memorial center will also help visitors to appreciate the current achievements of Rwanda as a country because you will get to see different exhibitions and also learn about the overall history of the country.
2. A visit to Kigali museums: This is the best place in Rwanda to learn about the Natural History of Rwanda, this museum was also built with the purpose of documenting the beauty of Rwanda, for tourists, this is a good place to visit before you start your tour because the northern wing of the museum showcases all the animal, birds and the beautiful volcanoes so it’s an opportunity for you to get the good ideal of the Country before starting your Rwanda safari or Uganda.
3. Visit the Belgium UN Troop Memorial in Kigali: This memorial center for Belgium troops in Kigali was opened in 2000 to remember over 10 Belgium UN peacekeepers who were killed in 1994 as they were protecting Prime Minister Madame Agathe Uwiligiyimana and her family, after killing Belgium peacekeepers she was also assassinated along with her husband.
One of the reasons why the Belgium peacekeepers were killed was to force the UN peacekeeping force out of Rwanda so the genocide to continue without anyone disturbing them after killing the Belgium troops most of the UN peacekeepers were withdrawn.
4. A visit to Hotel des Mille Collines: this hotel is the most famous and most visited hotel in Kigali because in 2004 it was featured in the movie called “Hotel Rwanda”. During the genocide, many people run to Hotel des Mille Collines for refuge and the hotel management managed to save over 1,000 people by hiding them in the different corners of the hotel.
Hotel des Mille Collines is located in Kigali city center and it is one of the biggest luxury hotels in Rwanda, it can accommodate over 200 guests, Hotel des Mille Collines has 112 rooms, the good thing is that even people who are not staying there can still go there for lunch, dinner or for a drink though no tours in the hotel is allowed and in fact when you reach there, there are no visible displays to show the role Hotel des Mille Collines played during the genocide.
5. Visit Kigali Convention Center: this Convention Center is one of the most beautiful buildings in Kigali, it is in the shape of a traditional bee hive and it is decollated with amazing different colors which can be seen from different corners of Kigali at night.
6. Visit local markets in Kigali: you can’t visit Africa and miss out on visiting African local markets because it is one of the best ways to interact with local people and also learn about their culture. Among the markets, you shouldn’t miss out on while in Kigali include Kimironko Market and Nyamirambo market.
7. Visit Art Centers and Crafts Shops in Kigali: in Kigali, there are some good art centers and crafts shops that are worth you visiting while on Kigali city tours.
8. Visit Coffee or tea shops in Kigali: if you love drinking good coffee or tea, Rwanda is well known as one the best coffee and tea producer in the world, Kigali city has a good number of coffee and tea shops that serve tasty coffee and tea, among the popular coffee shops in Kigali, includes Shokola Café, Inzora Rooftop Café, Le Panorama, Blues Café and few others where you can go for meeting with people or for relaxing as you enjoy a good coffee or tear.
9. Hike Mount Kigali Hill: if you are spending some day in Kigali and you enjoy walking and hiking adventures we can recommend the walk of Mount Kigali hill, this is the highest hill in Kigali, and it is very easy to hike to the top and back because the trail is very organizing, the hike of Mount Kigali hill gives you opportunities to a good view of Kigali city and also take good photos.
10. Spend a day volunteering in Kigali: for those who have free time and love doing volunteering work, we can organize for and you get opportunities to get involved in different local projects you choose like hospitals, teaching English and sports in the local schools, teaching in the ICT, working with local farmers and in other community projects which will make you fill that you have done something that is benefiting communities around Kigali.
You can as well reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at +256785790925 and also on WhatsApp for a free quote or any other enquires you may need to make.