All you need to know about gorilla permits booking procedures and cancellation policy for 2023 to 2024
Mountain gorilla tracking is an intense activity that involves hiking up and down in the dense forest in search of the great apes in Africa, in other words, gorilla tracking can be a changeling activity that can take three-quarters of the day to a full day which means that one requires a good level of physical fitness in order enjoy this tracking.
How many people are allowed to trek each gorilla family/group per day from 2023 to 2024?
Only 8 gorilla permits are issued for each gorilla family/group per day which means only eight people are permitted to trek per family/group per day currently Uganda has 20 fully habituated gorilla families/groups open for tourism which makes a total of 160 gorilla permits available per day in both Bwindi impenetrable forest national park and in Mgahinga gorilla national park, now this implies that only 160 people can see gorillas in Uganda daily which mean you have to book your permit well in advance.
8 Full list of gorilla permits booking procedures and cancellation policy from 2023 to 2024?
1. Which office that dos gorilla permits bookings?
- In Uganda, gorilla permits for both Bwindi Forest and Mgahinga are booked from Uganda Wildlife Authority Headquarters in Kampala or at the other office in Kisoro town, you can as well easily acquire a gorilla permit through a licensed local tour operator like us to avoid going through all these booking procedures.
2. Is it allowed to book gorilla permits in Advance and how long can one book in advance?
- Yes it is recommended to book your permit in advance, in fact, booking in advance is allowed up to two years in advance, you can make full payment or make a deposit of 30% and the balance of 70% can be paid three months (90 days) to the tracking date.
- International tour operators, travel agencies, and all foreigners are advised to the gorilla permits through locally licensed tour operators because currently, the Uganda Wildlife Authority gorilla permits booking system allows only locally licensed tour operators to have access and right to purchase gorilla permits
3. Is there a last-minute gorilla permit booking
- Yes, companies, travel agencies, and individuals can still book gorilla permits at the last minute depending on the gorilla permit availability all you are to contact your local tour operator to check for your availability and if there is a space your permit will be reserved and purchased on your behalf but with last minute booking, there is no guarantee that you will get the permits for you preferred dates and days so it is always recommended to book in advance.
4. Is there a refund on the gorilla permit or Cancellation Guidelines for the gorilla permit for 2023 to 2024?
- Yes, there shall be a refund of 50% by the Uganda Wildlife Authority only if a tourist or any visitor fails to go for tracking due to illness with proof from the doctors, your medical form from a doctor with your permit will be given to the Warden in Charge for the recommendation to get your refund at Reservation Office at their Headquarters in Kampala.
- NOTE visitors who fail to track due to unfit or because they cannot keep up walking up and down as they follow the gorillas there shall be no refund. However, if you tracked the whole day and park rangers fail to locate the gorillas for any reason, there will be a refund of 75% of the permit fees because it’s not your problem that trekkers and rangers/guides cannot find where the gorillas are.
5. From 2023 to 2024 gorilla permit cancellations Uganda Wildlife Authority will retain the following percentages?
- From 0 – 7 days to the tracking date – no refund
- From 10 – 45 days to the tracking date you can get a 25% refund
- From 47- 90 days to the tracking date you can get a 50% refund
- From 90 days and above to the tracking date you can 75% refund
NOTE: about gorilla permit cancellation, once a gorilla permit is purchased and paid it’s not refundable, you can only get a refund when you have a good reason as to why you are canceling your gorilla permit, only health-related issues with proof from the doctor or like the recent COVID-19 where people were not able to travel, these two reasons will be looked at first when Uganda Wildlife Authority is considering who should get a refund and who should not get a refund
6. Where to purchase and make payment for gorilla permits for 2023 to 2024?
- Purchases and all payments for gorilla permits in Uganda must be made directly to Uganda Wildlife Authority at reservations offices at the headquarters in Kampala and at their office in Kisoro town. But you can still book your gorilla permits through a licensed local tour operator because the new rules allow only registered and licensed tour companies and agencies in Uganda to have access to both gorilla and chimpanzee permits so foreign individuals, companies, and agencies are advised to book through local tour operators.
7. Can I reschedule my gorilla permit to another date for 2023 to 2024
- Yes, both gorilla and chimpanzee permits can be rescheduled to another date, if you do it three months before the tracking date and above, also rescheduling of your permit is best done through a local tour operator otherwise it is not easy doing it remotely from outside Uganda.
8. What are the acceptable payment methods for gorilla permits in Uganda for 2023 to 2024?
- You can purchase and pay for gorilla permits using Uganda Shillings, US dollars, GB Pounds, and Euros (you can pay using cash, credit card, online payment, or bank transfer). Note: the US dollar bills of $100 must be a print of 2006 and above, the old bills are not easily accepted at most places including lodges, restaurants, banks, etc.
You can reach us at email@example.com or call us at +256785790925 also on WhatsApp for further information you may need or a free quote