Mount Nyiragongo volcano hiking safari: Kisoro tours Uganda offers you the opportunity to hike Mt Nyiragongo volcano which is the most active volcano in Africa, Mount Nyiragongo is located in Virunga national park of DR-Congo.
Why hiking Mount Nyiragongo Volcano
Getting a chance to hike Africa’s most active volcano Mt Nyiragongo is surely an experience that you will not find anywhere on this planet, we only have one option of coming to Africa, hiking all the way to the summit of the active lava lake is a once in a lifetime experience which we offer at a fordable price in you want to know more about Mount Nyiragongo volcano hiking safari contact Kisoro tours Uganda, our packages ranges from 2 days Nyiragongo hike, 3 days face to face with active lava lake of Mt Nyiragongo to any number of days you want and also we can combine your volcano hiking tour with mountain gorilla trekking.
Kisoro tours Uganda will arrange the African trip that gives you an opportunity to stand right at the edge of Africa’s biggest lave lake which is an amazing experience that you can only get here in Africa.
How hard is hiking to the summit of Mount Nyiragongo
It is just about 40 minutes’ drive from Goma town to North Kivu at the ranger post where the Mt Nyiragongo hiking starts from. Hiking of mount Nyiragongo volcano is not difficult as some people may think because climbing up to the summit is only 9 Kilometers from the starting point to top the summit of this active volcano which take you about 4 to 5 hours depending one’s speed and fitness and I must say that the hiking trail of Nyiragongo is well maintained.
Hiking Mt Nyiragongo requires you to spend a minimum of at list one night at the top summit because the lave can only be seen clearly at night when its dark and also the best photos of Nyiragongo are taken at night. About the accommodation at the top of Nyiragongo, yes there is accommodation at the top of the summit which accommodates only 8 people which means only 8 Nyiragongo hiking permits are issued per day, it’s the reason why we recommend that you book in advance to avoid missing out on your preferred dates. It is also recommended to bring your own sleeping bags but in case you don’t have it is still fine you can still hire from it cost only $30 per person.
Mount Nyiragongo hiking starts and ends from Kabita patrol ranger post, all hikers have to meet here for a briefing by 8:00 am, and by 9:00 am the hiking will start headed armed park ranger guide. All those who are hiking must be at the Kabita ranger post, if you there in time you will miss out and hike on another day because all tourists have to be briefed and start hiking at the same time.
Suggested hiking packing list for mount Nyiragongo volcano hiking safari
In order to have a successful hike of Mount Nyiragongo, you must have the following hiking permits
- You must have good hiking boots because you will be walking in the African slippery volcanic rocks
- Bring warm sweaters or jackets because the weather conditions tropical rain-forest of Africa is not predictable and also mostly in the mornings and evenings it can be cool.
- Bring a waterproof jacket because as I said above weather conditions can change at any time.
- Garden hand gloves are also useful because it is used to protect your hands from sharp trees and sometimes form hot stones as you hike up and down
- Walking stick but it can be provided by the park rangers after briefing
- Remember to bring with you some snacks that are energy giving and also enough drinking water
- Bring headlamp/ Light, at the top Nyiragongo crater there is no enough light so it is always recommended to bring the headlamp or the flashlight.
- Don’t forget to bring your camera, on this trip camera is very important to capture every movement
- It is also advisable to bring Sunscreen for protecting you from strong sun protection.
- Bring a charger of dry clothes, when you get the summit you may need to change you’re your hiking clothes because they will be dirty and wet by the time you get to the top.
Other things that you may need to include on your packing list for the Mount Nyiragongo volcano hiking safari
- Having some short-sleeved t-shirts which you can use after hiking/trekking is also good
- A pair of shorts would also be nice during the day, you may need before or after trekking
- A simple walking boot which you can use during your free time is also a nice thing to have with you
- A pair of sandals is also good for anyone when traveling in Africa
- A wide safari hat its nice when traveling in Africa, it can also protect you from the strong sun of Africa
- Few pairs of underwear are good when traveling
- Insect repellent is also a must when planning to go on safari in Africa
- Some personal prescription medicines from your own doctor are all recommended
- A small notebook for you to take notes during your African safari is recommended.
How to Book & Pay for mount Nyiragongo volcano hiking permit
Whoever is planning to hike Mount Nyiragongo volcano must first acquire a hiking permit which can be booked through a trusted local tour operator like us Kisoro tours Uganda but if you want you can as well book it directly from Virunga national park head offices in Goma town-DR-Congo.
Price/cost of Mount Nyiragongo hiking permits-book with Kisoro tours Uganda
hiking permit for Mt Nyiragongo volcano is not expensive it costs only $300 per person, hiking permit for Nyiragongo are only limited to 8 permits per day, take note that volcano hiking permits are sold on first come first serve bases so book in advance and secure the permit for the day you wish to hike. Kisoro tours Uganda we can easily combine Nyiragongo hiking and mountain gorilla trekking safaris in Uganda or Rwanda’s only thing you have to do is to contact us and give your dates to trek and hike.
When hiking Mt Nyiragongo is it recommend to hire a Porter
yes, it is highly recommended to hire a porter for an easy and successful hike Nyiragongo, remember that this tour requires everyone to spend one night at the top of the Nyiragongo summit which requires you to carry enough food, drinking water, and other baggage’s you came with. In this case, a porter will help you to carry all your belongings. A porter costs only a minimum of $25 per porter and you can hire as many as you want to depend on how many baggages you have.