The main nature hiking trails within Bwindi forest, Bwindi impenetrable forest national park has six main nature trails that lead to Buhoma sector which is also the park headquarters, for the travelers who wish to explore more this famous impenetrable forest in Africa below is the detailed six main walking trails to and from Buhoma:
- The hiking trail from Nkuringo to Buhoma: this is the most famous walking trail in Bwindi forest which takes about three to four hours of walking through the impenetrable forest, and crosses through the park. The first one hour of the walk takes you through villages which also offering impressive views of the misty hillsides as you get closer towards the forest from Nkuringo’s side. With this hike/walk, you choose to start from Nkuringo and end in Buhoma or start from Buhoma and end in Nkuringa depending on which side you are coming from.
- Habinyanja hiking trail: This trail also takes about four to six hours of hiking, the first highlight of the Habinyanja trail is crossing the Munyaga River which is a fairly steep ascent of the Habigorogoro and Riyovi Ridge overlooking Buhoma River with impressive views of the forest. Another highlight on trial the legendry “African Corner” named after a stone/rock piece in the shape of a map of Africa. After you will follow the steep ascent, from here the walk is more relaxed as you gentle sloping to the summit of Habinyanja swamp. for the bird-watching lovers Habinyanja, the walking trail is one of the best.
- The Muyanga waterfall walk trail: This hiking trail is located along Buhoma to Nkuringo, this trail know the waterfall trail, f the falls plummeting 33 meters which is amazing in the middle of the forest. The Muyanga waterfall walking trail is also well known as best for primate species because of the different monkeys you see along the way and also for the general scenery. The Muyanga waterfall walk takes about 3 hours of hiking.
- The Rushura hill walking trail: while on this trail you should be able to have a good view of Lakes Edward and George, Rwenzori Mountains, and also Virunga Volcanoes mountain range on a clear day. The Rushura hill trail is the most exciting hiking trail in the Bwindi forest with an amazing experience which takes about 3 hours to get to the highest point of Rushura hill.
- The hiking of Muzubijiro Loop: is among the longest hiking trails in Bwindi forest and takes about 4 to 5 hours hike of 6kms around Muzubijiro loop, on this trail you will enjoy different types of monkeys and birds with the view of Virunga mountain range.
- The Ivi River hiking trail: This walking trail is also one of the longest hiking trails in Bwindi impenetrable forest national park, Ivi Riverwalk is 14 km and it can take between 6 to 7 hours of hiking 14km.
This tour of the main nature hiking trails within Bwindi forest can be easily added to any of your Uganda safaris and you can choose to do it at the beginning of your safari or at the end of the trip.